Discogs runs down the top 100 most expensive records it’s ever sold on the platform, including a brand new number one.
Online physical music marketplace Discogs is a place where you can not only buy and sell records, but a haven for vinyl aficionados wanting to hunt down those ultra-rare, once in a lifetime pieces that they’ve been after their whole lives.
As you can imagine, these rare – often promo copy – records come with a hefty price tag. A promo edition of Prince’s Black Album from 1987 was the previous number one most expensive seller being purchased for a huge $27,500 in 2018. But at the end of 2020, Prince was finally dethroned…
The new honour of most expensive record sold on Discogs now goes to Scaramanga Silk and his promo release from 2008, Choose Your Weapon. Sold for a humongous $41,095.89, the promo gatefold edition features a 12-inch record and CD-Rom containing the track, also including an art print and poem on acetate.
This seems like a pretty huge price to pay for an artist that many people may never have heard of which makes this all the more intriguing. Perhaps they have some kind of special connection to the music and have a ridiculous amount of money to burn through.
Apart from Prince and Scaramanga Silk, the top ten from the list of 100 most expensive records sold also includes two copies of The Beatles’ Love Me Do, Pink Floyds’ Ummagumma and Sex Pistols’ God Save the Queen.
You can check out the top 10 below including year of original release and price sold for, or head over the the Discogs website to marvel at the entire top 100.
1) Scaramanga Silk – Choose Your Weapon (2008) – $41,095.89
2) Prince – The Black Album (1987) – $27,500
3) The Beatles – Love Me Do (1962) – $15,410.96
4) Sex Pistols – God Save The Queen (1977) – $15,060.24
5) Prince – The Black Album (1987) – $15,000
6) Pink Floyd – Ummagumma (1970) – $14,457.83
7) Ferris Wheel – Supernatural Girl (1974) – $13,698.63
8) Billy Nicholls – Would You Believe (1968) – $11,084.34
9) Mourning Phase – Mourning Phase (1971) – $10,843.37
10) The Beatles – Love Me Do (1962) – $10,273.97
Leave a comment